- Bulletins will be available, but the service is also posted on Facebook and below.
- Even as restrictions are being lifted and you are welcome to leave your car to participate in outdoor worship, please remember to keep social distancing and wear masks for your and others’ protection
We will continue to respect our leaders’ directives and conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner. Despite these dark days, we will keep turning toward the light. May our Lord Jesus have mercy on us and the whole world. Contact Pastor Jody at email@example.com for more information!
WORSHIP SERVICE: Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:30 AM – The 10th Sunday after Pentecost
CALL TO WORSHIP:
Leader: Come now and let us sing to the Lord!
People: Let us shout with joy to the rock of our salvation,
Leader: Come before His presence with thanksgiving and raise a loud shout to Him with psalms.
People: For the Lord is a great God and a great King above all God!
HYMN: “My Faith Looks Up to Thee”
1) My faith looks up to thee, Thou Lamb of Calvary, Savior divine!
Now hear me while I pray, take all my guilt away, Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly thine!
2) May thy rich grace impart Strength to my fainting heart, My zeal inspire;
As thou hast died for me, Oh, may my love to thee Pure, warm and changeless be,
A living fire!
3) While life’s dark maze I tread And griefs around me spread Be thou my guide;
Bid darkness turn to day, Wipe sorrows tears away, Nor let me ever stray
From thee aside.
4) When ends life’s transient dream, When death’s cold, sullen stream Shall o’er me roll; Blest Savior, then in love, Fear and distrust remove: Oh, bear me safe above,
A ransomed soul!
GREETING AND KYRIE:
Pastor: The grace of our Lord Jesus, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be
with you all.
People: And also with you.
Pastor: Lord, have mercy upon us.
People: Lord, have mercy upon us.
Pastor: Christ, have mercy upon us.
People: Christ, have mercy upon us.
Pastor: Lord, have mercy upon us.
People: Lord, have mercy upon us and the whole world.
HOLY SCRIPTURE: 1 Kings 19:9-18
PRAISE SONG: “El Shaddai”
Chorus: El Shaddai, El Shadai, El-El-yon na Adonai
Age to age you’re still the same by the power of the name
El Shaddai, El Shaddai, Erkahm-ka na Adonai
We will praise and lift You high, El Shaddai
1) Through your love and through the ram, You saved the son of Abraham
Through the power of your hand, turned the sea into dry land
To the outcast on her knees, You were the God who really sees
And by your might You set Your children free
2) Through the years, You made it clear that the time of Christ was near
Though the people couldn’t see, what Messiah ought to be
Though Your Word contained the plan, they just would not understand
Your most awesome work was done, through the frailty of Your Son
HOLY GOSPEL: St. Matthew 14:22-33
PRAYER OF THE DAY:
All: O God our defender, storms rage around and within us and cause us to be afraid. Rescue your people from despair, deliver your sons and daughters from fear, and preserve us in the faith of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.
HYMN: “I’ll Be With Thee”
1) Just like the prodigal son when he was far from home
He wanted to go back and tell his father he had done wrong
He fell on his knees, the Lord answered his pleas
“If you go back home I’ll go with thee.”
2) Just like the Israelites who were Pharaoh’s slaves
They suffered in bondage and they prayed for days
The Lord said, “Moses, go, set them free
“I am the Lord, thy God, and I’ll go with thee.”
3) Just like old Joshua at Jericho
The Jericho walls, he wanted to overthrow
The Lord said, “Fight, and I’ll give you victory
I am the Lord, thy God, and I’ll go with thee.”
Chorus: I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee.
Through the water, through the flood, through the fire, through the blood
I am the Lord, thy God and I’ll be with thee, be with thee.
I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee. I’ll be with thee.
Through failure, success, I’ll understand when you’ve done your best.
I am the Lord, thy God, and I’ll be with thee. Be with thee.
(repeat verses 2 and 3 and chorus)
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
CLOSING HYMN: “Rock of Ages”
1) Rock of ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in thee;
Let the water and the blood, From thy riven side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure; cleanse me from its guilt and power.
2) Not the labor, of my hands, Can fulfill thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know, Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and thou alone.
3) Nothing in my hand I bring; Simply to thy cross I cling.
Naked come to thee for dress, helpless, look to thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly; Wash me, Savior, or I die.
4) While I draw this fleeting breath, When mine eyelids close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown, See thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in thee.