- Even as restrictions are being lifted, please remember to keep social distancing and wear masks for your and others’ protection
We will continue to respect our leaders’ directives and conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner. Despite these dark days, we will keep turning toward the light. May our Lord Jesus have mercy on us and the whole world. Contact Pastor Jody at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information! The Bulletins will be handed out on Sunday morning or can be viewed below
WORSHIP SERVICE – October 4, 2020 at 9:30 AM – The 18th Sunday after Pentecost
Call to Worship: Psalm 80 selected verses
Leader: Restore us, O god of hosts; show the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.
People: You have brought a vine out of Egypt; you cast out the nations and planted it.
Leader: You prepared the ground for it; it took root and filled the land.
People: The mountains were covered by its shadow and towering cedar trees by its boughs.
Leader: You stretch out its tendrils to the sea and its branches to the river.
People: Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven; behold and tend this vine; preserve what your right hand has planted.
Leader: Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;
People: Show us the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved.
OPENING SONG: “Here In This Place”
1) Here in this place new light is streaming, now is the darkness vanished away;
See in this space our fears and our dreamings brought here to you in the light of this
Gather us in, the lost and forsaken, gather us in, the blind and the lame;
Call to us now and we shall awaken, we shall arise at the sound of our name.
2) We are the young, our lives are a mystery, we are the old who yearn for your face;
We have been sung throughout all of history, called to be light to the whole human
Gather us in, the rich and the haughty, gather us in, the proud and the strong;
Give us a heart so meek and so lowly, give us the courage to enter the song.
3) Here we will take the wine and the water, here we will take the bread of new birth, Here you shall call your sons and your daughters, call us anew to be salt for the earth.
Give us to drink the wine of compassion, give us to eat the bread that is you;
Nourish us well and teach us to fashion lives that are holy and hearts that are true.
4) Not in the dark of buildings confining, not in some heaven light years away –
Here in this place a new light is shining, now is the kingdom, and now is the day.
Gather us in and hold us forever, gather us in and make us your own;
Gather us in, all peoples together, fire of love in our flesh and our bone.
GREETING AND KYRIE ELEISON:
Pastor: The grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
People: And also with you.
Refrain: Kyrie Eleison on our world and on our way, Kyrie Eleison every day.
1) For peace in the world, for the health of the church, for the unity of all. For this holy house, for all who worship and praise, let us pray to the Lord. Let us pray to the Lord.
2) That we may live out your impassioned response to the hungry and the poor; that we may live out truth and justice and grace, let us pray to the Lord. Let us pray to the Lord.
3) For peace in our hearts, for peace in our homes, for friends and family. For life and for love, for our work and our play, let us pray to the Lord. Let us pray to the Lord.
4) For your spirit to guide, that you center our lives in the Water and the Word. That you nourish our souls with your body and blood, let us pray to the Lord. Let us pray to the Lord.
HOLY GOSPEL: St. Matthew 21:33-46
PRAYER OF THE DAY:
Leader: Let us pray together,
All: Beloved God, from you come all things that are good. Lead us by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit to know those things that are right, and by your merciful guidance, help us to do them, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.
SONG OF THE DAY: “Sons of God”
Chorus: Sons of God, hear his holy Word! Gather round the table of the Lord!
Eat His body, drink His blood. And we’ll sing a song of love: Allelu, allelu, allelu, alleluia!
1) Brothers, sisters, we are one, And our life has just begun;
In the Spirit we are young; We can live forever.
2) Shout together to the Lord, who has promised our reward;
Happiness a hundred fold, And we’ll live forever.
3) Jesus gave a new command, That we love our fellow man
Till we reach the promised land, Where we’ll live forever.
4) If we want to live with Him, we must also die with Him,
Die to selfishness and sin, And we’ll rise forever.
5) Make the world a unity, make all men one family,
Till we meet the Trinity, and live with them forever.
6) With the church we celebrate, Jesus’ coming we await,
So we make a holiday, So we’ll live forever.
PRAYER OF THE CHURCH
Leader: The Lord be with you.
People: And also with you.
Leader: Lift up your hearts.
People: We lift them to the Lord.
Leader: Let us give thanks to the Lord.
People: It is right to give him thanks and praise.
WORDS OF INSTITUTION: (Tune: “Blowing In the Wind”)
All: Jesus our Lord was betrayed on that night as he sat and ate bread with his friends. He broke from a loaf then he gave each a piece, telling them all what it meant. This is my body which I give to you, before I am broken in death.
So eat it my friends remembering my death. Eat it remembering my death.
Then Jesus our Lord at the close of the meal, lifted a cup filled with wine.
He gave thanks to God, then he gave each a drink, telling them all what it meant.
This cup is a covenant sealed by God, that guarantees forgiveness for life.
So drink it my friends remembering my death. Drink it remembering my death.
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
DISTRIBUTION OF THE HOST: The Fraction
PRAYER AFTER COMMUNION:
People: Almighty God, you provide the true bread from heaven, your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Grant that we who have received the Sacrament of his body and blood may abide in him and he in us, that we may be filled with the power of his endless life, now and forever. Amen.
CLOSING SONG: “Just A Closer Walk With Thee”
I am weak, but Thou art strong; Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long, As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
Through this world of toil and snares, If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares? None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.
When my feeble life is o’er,Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er, To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.