- Bulletins will be available, but the service is also posted on Facebook and below.
- Even as restrictions are being lifted and you are welcome to leave your car to participate in outdoor worship, please remember to keep social distancing and wear masks for your and others’ protection
We will continue to respect our leaders’ directives and conduct ourselves in an appropriate manner. Despite these dark days, we will keep turning toward the light. May our Lord Jesus have mercy on us and the whole world. Contact Pastor Jody at email@example.com for more information!
WORSHIP SERVICE: July 5, 2020 at 9:30 AM – The 5th Sunday after Pentecost
If you need to share in the service over the radio, turn your FM station to 103.1
Prelude: “The Star Spangled Banner” (and just in case there is anyone that doesn’t know the words…)
O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light, What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming, Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight, O’er the rampart we watched, were so gallantly streaming? And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there; O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Leader: Blessed be the holy Trinity, one God, who forgives all our sin
People: Whose mercy endures forever. Amen.
Leader: God of all mercy and consolation, come to the help of your people, turning us from our sin to live for you alone.
People: Give us the power of your Holy Spirit what we may confess our sin, receive your forgiveness, and grow into the fullness of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.
Leader: Gracious God,
All: Have mercy on us. We confess that we have turned from you and given ourselves into the power of sin. We are truly sorry and humbly repent. In your compassion forgive us our sins, known and unknown, things we have done and things we have failed to do. Turn us again to you, and uphold us by your Spirit, so that we may live and serve you in newness of life through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.
Song: “Battle Hymn of the Republic”
1) Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Chorus: Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.
2) He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat,
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul to answer him! Be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on!
3) In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me;
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on.
4) We can almost hear the trumpet sound, the Lord’s return is near;
There are still so many people lost, His message they must hear;
Father, give us on more moment, One more day, just one more year-
With God we’re marching on.
Greeting, Kyrie, and Prayer of the Day:
Leader: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
People: And also with you.
Leader: Have mercy on us, Lord, and hear our solemn prayer.
People: We come to hear your living word; it saves us from despair.
Leader: Have mercy on us, Christ, and wash away our sin.
People: Pout our your grace and make us whole that new life may begin.
Leader: Have mercy on us, Lord; make sin and shame depart.
People: Renew us with your saving power; create in us new hearts!
Leader: Let us pray,
All: You are great, O God, and our hearts are restless until they have rest in you. Grant that we may believe in you, call upon you, know you, and serve you, through your Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord!
Holy Scripture: 2 Chronicles 7:14
14if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Song: “Onward Christian Soldiers”
1) Onward Christian soldiers, Marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus Going on before, Christ the royal master, Leads against the foe; Forward into battle, See, his banners go!
Chorus: Onward, Christian soldiers, Marching as to war, with the cross of Jesus, Going on before.
2) Like a mighty army Moves the Church of God; Let us boldly follow Where the saints have trod. We are not divided; All one body we: One in hope and doctrine, One in charity.
3) Crown and thrones may perish, Kindgoms rise and wane, But the Church of Jesus Constant will remain; Gates of hell can never ‘Gainst the Church prevail. We have Christ’s own promise, And that cannot fail.
4) Onward, then, your faithful, Join our happy throng; Blend with ours your voices In the triumph song. Glory, laud, and honor Unto Christ the king. We through countless ages With the angels sing:
WORDS OF INSTITUTION: (tune is “Blowing In the Wind”)
All: Jesus our Lord was betrayed on that night as he sat and ate bread with his friends.
He broke from a loaf then he gave each a piece, telling them all what it meant.
This is my body which I give to you, before I am broken in death.
So eat it my friends remembering my death. Eat it remembering my death.
Then Jesus our Lord at the close of the meal, lifted a cup filled with wine.
He gave thanks to God, then he gave each a drink, telling them all what it meant.
This cup is a covenant sealed by God, that guarantees forgiveness for life.
So drink it my friends, remembering my death. Drink it remembering my death.
Distribution of the Elements: We will pass out the elements. You are free to receive them or not. All who believe Jesus’ promise that he is present with us in, with, through, around, above and below the elements forgiving and renewing us are welcomed to share in his holy supper. We ask that children untrained in the meaning of the sacrament refrain from the supper.
Post-Communion Blessing & Prayer
All: Pour out upon us the spirit of your love, O Lord, and unite the wills of those whom you have fed with one heavenly food; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Closing Song: “When Peace Like A River”
1) When peace like a river, attendeth my way; When sorrows, like sea billows, roll;
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, I is well, it is well with my soul.
2) Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate And hath shed his own blood for my soul.
3) He lives—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought; My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to his cross, and I bear it no more. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
4) And, Lord, haste the day when our faith shall be sight, The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trumpet shall sound, and the Lord shall descend; Even so it is well with my soul.